Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Worst of Getting Old

You know what the worst part about getting older is? No, it's not my aching bones and joints. It's not the gray hair that appears on my head, my beard and even in my privates. It's not the understanding of days gone by....like realizing I lived a life without a tv remote or a life without cd's or a life without ATM's that the people of today can't comprehend. The worst thing about growing older is that people who have touched your life and/or a part of the people you know who make up your life start to die.

When you're young the thought of people you love dying is so far from your thought process. Dying isn't something the young and carefree think about. But as you get older, it starts to happen. People you know or have known or people that your best friends care the most about start to go on.

I kinda like getting older. I think part of my problem is that I was the youngest in my family. It's fun for me to pontificate about the joys and sicknesses of my life to my older siblings. I love it that they have to deal with the fact that I am as old as them in so many ways.

But this isn't the worst part. I can deal with the hearing loss. I can deal with eyesight loss. Quite frankly, I can make fun of it comically even though it scares the hell outta me. But dealing with the loss of a family member is what crushes me the most about getting older.

Like it or not. When you get older, more people you have known die. It's a rotten fact of life. But it happens.

One of my best friend's mom had a stroke today. She's not doing well and I'm not sure what the final outcome will be. She is a great woman who made me laugh and made alot of us laugh and smile for a long time. She has always been a caring and giving woman to her children and grandchildren who have loved her and spent quality time with her for years(including yesterday).

If it is time for her to go to heaven I know there is a seat waiting for her. The fact that she raised three boys to be the quality men I know them to be is proof enough for me, let alone Saint Peter.

I hope you who read this blog, knowing the person I am, will join me in giving your thoughts and prayers to my good friend Butch and his two brothers in their tough time of need.

It sucks getting old. But this really sucks for my friends.

1 comment:

  1. Carson or someone asked George Burns about being old (100?) and his thoughts. His repy, All my friends are dead. Again this is Strohs.

    ReplyDelete