Monday, May 4, 2009

It's Good to Get Away

I just got back from taking a trip out of town with my wife. We just got away! After being with her for a few hours I said to her, "I've had more fun and have laughed more with you in the last 6 hours than I have had in the last 6 months!" Mind you this was only during our flights(I say flights because we had a stopover and I don't need to tell you how bad that sucks)!

Life can be a bitch. I'm sorry but there really isn't any other way to put it. Marriage is a bitch in itself. Men and women are not even closely related. To be together for an extended period of years is monumental. People don't realize it. I am lucky enough to have been married to the same woman for 16 years. Whenever I think she's driving me crazy, I think about what my life would be without her. I can't go there. I'm lucky. She rocks! I'm one of the lucky ones, I have a woman who makes me a better man.

When she told me she wanted to take a short trip this week I said all the logical things....."we can't afford it"....."it doesn't make sense"......"let's get the garage door fixed"....blah, blah, blah.

She said, "We need this."

I didn't realize the emphasis was on we.

She was so right. We had so much fun together. At one point she said to me, "Stop talking to me you're making me laugh too much!"

I love making my wife laugh. It probably is the one thing in my life that makes feel the best. She has the best laugh.

Don't get me wrong. We missed our kids immensely. We called home every day, all day while we were gone(by the way it was only four days and three nights). But I can't tell you how important it is to be together as a couple and remember why it is this is happening.

Everything we do these days is about our family. We travel together. We camp together. We hang out with our friends and their kids together. We do everything together. Basically, we sacrifice our relationship together for our children. We do this open-hearted. We don't even think twice about it.

But being able to spend the last few days with my wife in a setting that was just about us(as selfish as it may seem), made everything better.

Think about it. If you have children, you know they react to the mother-father relationship in a huge way. We as parents need to make sure our relationship is strong and happy so our children will respond properly.

I know that loving my wife makes my children happier...and after this time away I spent with her they are really happy!

1 comment:

  1. I only wanted to you stop making me laugh because I had to pee so bad. Keep the laughs coming!

    ReplyDelete