Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I Hate Game Seven


I'm so freaking pissed off right now there is steam coming from my ears. My hate-filled wife hung a Blackhawks jersey in our front window tonite. Normally this wouldn't bother me. But the fact that the Red Wings lost last nite to the Ducks in Anaheim forcing a game seven tomorrow nite and the Blackhawks have already clinched their spot in the Conference Finals is just not sitting right with me.

I don't care if she's got the right. I don't care that she can sail the jersey in her pride of the nice run the Hawks have had to this point in the playoffs. I don't care. Do you hear me I don't care.

So now that it's clear. The fact that I won't be speaking to her for the next few weeks is out in the open, I can get on with it.

If the Wings don't win tomorrow I'm gonna puke. I hate game sevens. I've seen too many bad bounces and funny ricochets to know better. I cannot live in this town without the Wings winning and facing the Blackhawks.

I have been through many Blackhawk/Red Wings playoff series. It's ugly for me. I'm the only one rooting for the Winged Wheel. But I don't care. I've been rooting for this team since I was five. There is nothing I want more than a Blackhawk/Red Wing series. I will be with fans of hockey for every game of the series. Win or lose we will all shake hands like the players do at the end of each playoff series.

You see the Blackhawks and the Red Wings are two of the original six teams in hockey. The fans of these two teams are woven from the same string. We bleed the colors of our teams. It is one of the reasons I am a silent Blackhawk fan. But not when they play the Red Wings. That is a horse of a different color.

We need this. We need a Blackhawk/Red Wing series. A series that decides which team is worthy to represent in the Stanley Cup Finals.

I like to call it natural selection. I am a friendly person. I like most people. But for some reason the best friends I have made since moving to this area are hockey fans. My best friends all love the game played on ice. It's a little freaky. My best friends and I have always had hockey in common. We have gone to games together. We have watched games together and enjoyed the sweet science that is the game of hockey for over 20 years.

The Wings face a game seven tomorrow nite and if anyone who knows about hockey, I'll say it again, anything can happen in game seven. They just gotta win. All I care about is the puck drop at 6pm my time tomorrow. We gotta win.

My son told me today...."Daddy, I'm not from Detroit but my favorite teams are!" What a kickass kid!

I'll suck it up tonite and tomorrow with the jersey in my window but if the Wings can win tomorrow I'll hang my Red Wings jersey up next to the one in my window. We'll see who's jersey will hang there during the Finals.

Otherwise, it'll be real quiet in my house for the next couple weeks.

3 comments:

  1. I'll be sitting right beside you cheering on them Wings tonight! Of course, that will be the last time for the next couple of weeks. I don't know too many hockey fans who wouldn't appreciate a Hawks/Wings series. V

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO BLACKHAWKS!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete