Friday, April 17, 2009

Here's to Jackie

I went to the Cubs game the other day. It was amazing. When you enter Wrigley Field, the home of the Chicago Cubs it takes your breath away. The smell of the ballpark, the sight of the green field and the sound of the mingling fans takes you to a place in your heart that only baseball and it's ultimate glory can fulfill.

I know, that's a little overboard but I love baseball and Wrigley Field is sick with nostalgia. It's the second oldest baseball park in the game behind Fenway Park in Boston. When men pee in the bathroom, we pee in a trough! I'm not lying.

Wednesday was a special day in the baseball community. It was the anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier in this game we all love(or at least you should).

I think we all know the story. If you don't, look it up it's a good one.

Robinson went through some great pains to fulfill his dream. I can't imagine what it was like for a black man to play on an all white team against all white opponents and in front of all white fans but I do know that his perseverance made our country a better one. I may go as far to say, that what Jackie Robinson did for the game of baseball helped our country elect our current president.

Once again I may be going a little far with my love of baseball but talk to anyone from the Detroit area, let alone from Michigan who didn't feel some pain this week from the passing of Mark Fidrych and you will know what I mean.

I can only imagine what motivated Robinson to do what he did. What I believe is that the beauty of the game itself and the passion that he carried for the game was greater than the hardships he knew would follow him in his playing days.

This brings me back to Wednesday at the ballpark. Baseball's ridiculous commissioner, Bud Selig decided(as an obvious publicity stunt) to have every major league ballplayer wear the number 42(Robinson's number) on his jersey this day.

It must be said that jersey numbers are synonomous to every player, good or bad. On this day we in the stands had vaguely an idea who was who on the field. It was almost comical. When I watched my highlite show that nite I had no idea who did what.

I truly don't think this was an appropriate tribute to a great man. I think Robinson did the things he did because of his love for the integrity of the game of baseball. I think he was rolling over in his grave because this idiot of a commssioner just doesn't get it!

It wasn't about publicity. It was about the game itself. This game of baseball is bigger than racism. It's a part of America. It's a part of our childhood. It's something we feel inside when we turn a game on TV or step into a ballpark. It's the feeling we get from cheering on our favorite team or when my nephew strikes someone out. It's a part of us all.

I love this game and herein lies the truth....when my nephew came over to my house the other day I said, "Did you bring your glove?"

He replied, "Of course I did. I know better than that!"

Jake and I played catch for a long time. It was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment