Monday, April 13, 2009

Happy Birthday Michael and Janie

What an amazing day! Not only did my children get up this morning to Easter baskets and go searching for eggs around our house, but it was also their 5th birthday. I must tell you I kept looking at them all day long in awe.

It's just crazy that these two beautiful human beings are my offspring. I revel in the fact they smile all the time. Their smiles are the best part of my day....every day. Today they had Easter and their birthday....are you kidding me?....they were all smiles all day. It was awesome.

They fell asleep in the living room tonite. As I took each one of them to their beds I couldn't help but think how not that long ago they were babies. These 5 year olds were my babies such a short time ago. I can't believe how being a parent makes time move so fast. It's so true.

When my children were first born a friend of mine said, "The only advice I can give you is to smell the roses." I wasn't sure what he meant. He told me, "Time goes so fast with your children, try to enjoy every moment." Brilliant! People give you advice when you have children all the time but I will never forget this piece of advice because after 5 years I know it's so true!

I can't believe they are 5. My son and I play catch every day. My daughter makes crafts that I could never create. It seems like just yesterday they were helpless baby-beings who I needed to help feed and change their diapers.

Now I'm amazed at the people they have become.

There is a part of me that is sad that they have left their baby-ness behind them. But I am so excited at the prospect of future times to come. I can't wait to watch them grow. Secretly, I can't wait for the difficulties of high school and relationships that they will experience. I have been enjoying the ups and downs of this with my nephew for the past few years and we seem to be handling it well together(kudos Tim).

Let me take a moment to mention my nephew. I have such a great relationship with this young man. He makes me so proud to be his uncle. We have discussed relationships and women and such....I never have to say much to him. I say my peace and I move on. I don't harp.....gosh knows I like to harp......but when it comes to my nephew I just give him my word and I move on. It works for us. I love our relationship and I think he does too. I know that this relationship will help me be a better father when my children get to be his age.

I know it's sappy but I must say, these children of mine are the best thing that has ever happened to me. I know now what my purpose is on this earth. All the careers, college courses and relationships in the past are just a path to this spoken ground.

These two beautiful children who were born on this day are the very reason I was put on this earth.

Happy Birthday Michael and Janie!

1 comment:

  1. TJ,
    Happy birthday to the twins. Don't forget, the birthdays are going to start coming at a rapid-fire pace now. Everything you do revolves around your kids, I know! Make sure that you keep reminding your self that these are truly God's gift to you. Cherish every day with them, because you never know.

    I just found out yesterday that my cousin (43 years old and my age) has a rapid form of cancer. She had no idea until she became unreasonably tired all of the time. She went to her doctor and found out that she has lung, liver and stomach cancer. She has three lovely girls that are no older than 12. God works in mysterious ways. Her prognosis is questionable at this time, but it made me check myself up and realize that we are working on someone else's plan, not ours.

    I know you love the twins, but make sure that they know it also. I know that you do, but this is Uncle Bobo telling you to smell the roses with them. Each one of my kids is getting special attention today, because I just don't know what the plans are.

    Happy Easter and Happy Birthdays to the family (albeit late).

    Love,
    Billy

    ReplyDelete