Saturday, June 6, 2009

Good Things are Happening


Life is so weird. I think part of the reason I write this blog is because life is so weird. I've been unemployed for a few months and it's been great spending time with my children but really I just want to go back to work.

I'm not sure if it's a man thing or just that staying at home with the kids has driven me to a place I'm not sure I would want any other to go. I'm happy to say the time has finally come. I get to go back to work this Monday.

Instead of making chocolate milk and unwrapping breakfast bars every freaking morning of my life, I get to plan my outfit the night before and wake up to my alarm clock! Wooo Hoooo!

I won't be worrying about vacuuming the rug in the living room. I don't have to draw a tub for 5 year olds anymore. I don't have to mop the freaking floors anymore. I don't have to wipe the spit off the mirror in the bathroom anymore.

Yet, that kinda sucks. I'll miss waking my daughter up in the morning by climbing into her bed with her and wrapping my arms around her. I'll miss the questions from my son about which baseball games are on TV today and who's playing.

When I think about the times my beautiful daughter has come to me and said, "Daddy, I'm hungy," and I may have been hesitant to help her quickly I realize I won't be the one feeding her in the future during the day. This kinda sucks.

Taking care of my kids these last few months has been a most difficult chore. But it has probably been the most rewarding job I have ever had. I have built a bond with my two children that will never be broken. As much as we have driven each other crazy we know our limits and know how to keep from them.

I am proud to say that I will be starting a new job next week. In an economy that is shedding jobs, I have somehow landed one. Hopefully this job will keep our family from losing our home and security like so many others have.

While we are extremely happy about this opportunity, I find myself looking back and reflecting. Good Lord I will miss being with my kids all day long! I'm already sad. The things I have watched them achieve and overcome in the last few months is mind boggling. I can't believe I won't be with them each day after next week to observe their growth.

I guess the most important thing that I have learned over the last few months of unemployment is that my kids are GREAT! I love them with all my heart. They blow my mind every day. I will miss them but they will help me through every day because coming home to see them will make it all worth while.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the job, Tom. Your post is poignant. The very first thing I thought last night at Em's graduation after I heard you got your job back was...oh, he's going to miss his kids sooo much! We all do what we've got to do. Hang in there!
    Peg

    ReplyDelete